Rice Pilaf with Cherries and Walnuts
Time: 20 minutes
Here’s a tasty way to ease sleep problems. Cherries and walnuts both contain melatonin, a powerhouse antioxidant with proven sleep benefits. Pair a small serving (half a cup) with a thin slice of roast turkey breast for a healthy evening snack. Turkey is a good source of tryptophan, another sleep-inducing substance. I’ve found this combination to a winner when it comes to laying the foundation for a good night’s sleep.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (1 teaspoon if dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram (1 teaspoon if dried)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Combine onion, cherries, walnuts, thyme, marjoram, and pepper with butter in a large skillet.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add rice and mix well. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes, and enjoy while warm.
Last Updated: October 8, 2018
Originally Published: May 28, 2013