Whole grains are terrific complex carbohydrates. They provide lots of energy, fiber, and nutrients, and are very healthy for you. Unlike commercial bread, you don’t need to use any dough softeners or ingredients to make the bread rise faster, just allowing sufficient time ensures this simple recipe will be delicious.
Get My FREE Curcumin Report
- 1 ½ cups warm (~100 degrees Fahrenheit) water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¾ tablespoon fast acting yeast
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ cups + a handful of white whole wheat flour (this flour is white because the kernel naturally grows as a white color, unlike all purpose flour, which does not include the red bran or the germ and may be bleached)
- Butter or neutral-flavored oil for greasing containers
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 cup hot water
- Combine all ingredients, except sunflower seeds, oats, and hot water, in a large mixing bowl and stir. Stir with a spoon until well-combined, then knead with hands while adding small additional amounts of flour. When done, the flour will not stick to the sides of your bowl.
- Lift the dough out, grease the bowl, then return dough to the bowl and lightly cover. Let stand two hours on the counter, then additional two hours in the refrigerator.
- Use your thumb to make an indent in which to pour your seeds and oats. Move dough to a floured rolling surface. Knead roughly twenty times, to incorporate the seeds. Form into a loaf.
- In a greased loaf pan, place dough seam side down. Dust with additional flour to keep bread moist. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let sit 45 to 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with a metal or cast iron pan on the lowest rack, about fifteen minutes before you unwrap the dough.
- Make 2 or 3 deep (½ inch) cuts in the top of the loaf, then place it on the middle rack of the oven. Pour the hot water into the pre-heated metal pan. Avoid burning yourself from steam or bubbles.
- Bake until golden brown, ~21-26 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately remove from pan. Cool on cooling rack until completely cool.
- Store in airtight container for up to 1 week. Slice and freeze for longer-term storage.