Patients often tell me they can restrain themselves throughout a meal, only to go overboard with dessert. I understand how hard it can be to turn down a slice of freshly baked pie topped with a scoop of ice cream. But this berry sorbet is an equally delicious way to end a meal. And with a mere 42 calories – compared to the more than 500 calories in a slice of pie and ice cream – I’d recommend going with the sorbet.
- 1 12 oz. bag frozen mixed berries
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- ¼ cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- Thaw frozen berries in the bag. After thawing, place berries, banana, juice, almond milk, and vanilla extract in a blender and liquefy.
- Strain the liquefied berries through a strainer or sieve to take out the seeds. Put the strained juice into a freezer-safe container, and then cover with waxed paper so that the paper is touching the surface of the juice.
- Place the pan in the freezer for an hour or so to firm. If it becomes too hard, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften.
Last Updated: October 8, 2018
Originally Published: November 26, 2013