Carob Chip Cookies with Stevia (Sugar Free)
If you are trying to tame your sweet tooth, these delicious sugar free carob chip treats may help. Their sweetness comes from stevia, a healthier sugar alternative, and instead of traditional, sugary chocolate chips, they are made with carob, a cousin of chocolate that is caffeine-free and rich in calcium. You can find unsweetened carob chips in health food stores and online.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate protein powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder or sodium-free baking powder substitute
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened carob chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- Sift together flour, protein powder, salt, and baking powder in a medium–sized bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together egg, stevia, and vanilla. Gradually add applesauce, continuing to mix until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients one-half cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Fold in carob chips.
- Place heaping teaspoons of batter onto the cookie sheet, allowing about 2 inches between each.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
Last Updated: October 8, 2018
Originally Published: April 10, 2013