High Fiber/Protein Chocolate Smoothie
Many of my smoothie recipes include protein powder. Protein is an important nutrient you need as a building block for muscles. Protein also helps you feel full longer, and fiber helps keep your blood sugar on an even keel, and your digestion system working normally.
Get My FREE Curcumin Report
If you don’t have protein powder on hand, though, a good substitute in a smoothie is beans. Unsalted beans don’t have much flavor and they blend quite smoothly. Black or red beans work well with chocolate drinks, and cannellini beans work well with lighter, fruit-flavored smoothies.
- ½ cup blacked beans, cooked (you can use canned black beans if they are unsalted)
- 1 banana, frozen
- ⅓ cup dried raisins or berries
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients together until you reach your desired texture.
- Serve immediately over ice. (Alternately, if you freeze all ingredients overnight before making the smoothie, it will be cold enough without the ice.)
Last Updated: October 8, 2018
Originally Published: June 9, 2016