Lemony Spring Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
Fresh and light, this stew is nothing like the hearty thick winter stews and their hefty repercussions. The zesty lemon will cleanse your liver and help regulate bowel movements, while the chickpeas will deliver a hefty dose of protein and fiber. If you think you might need a more satiating meal, add rice when you add the chickpeas!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and cut into thin rounds
- 2 medium carrots, cut on the diagonal into thin slices
- 2 cups halved radishes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat: add onion, carrots, and radishes. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Right before serving add spinach, peas, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Serve once spinach is bright green and wilted (about 1 minute).