Amaranth Power Patties
It’s a great idea to add some meat-free meals into your dietary rotation. I sometimes feel like I don’t get something to really bite into if I’m eating a lot of super grains or beans. Turning the nutrient-packed grain amaranth into a patty gives me something to sink my teeth into while still being relatively low in calories. And it tastes great, too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 2 tablespoons
- ½ medium onion, dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups amaranth, cooked
- 1 medium egg
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup parsley
- In a large pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Add lemon zest and curry powder, and cook for an additional minute.
- Keeping the sauté pan for later, transfer spice mixture into a bowl of cooked amaranth. Mix with a whisked egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- Form amaranth mixture into small balls. Cover in the bread crumb mixture.
- Add additional oil to sauté pan and bring it back up to medium heat. Sauté 3-4 balls at a time, smashing them flat into patties in the pan. Cook about 45 seconds per side. (Raise the temperature if you’re not getting a firm, crispy patty after 45 seconds.