Lap Gai: savory Thai chicken salad
This delicious Thai chicken salad uses toasted rice flour to make a simple sauce that really carries the flavors of the chicken and spices into your mouth. It also features quite a few fresh vegetables. This entrée is a great alternative to goopy chicken salad made with fattening mayonnaise. You can find a longer discussion of variations to try at SheSimmers.com
- 1 pound chicken, ground
- ½ cup water
- 2 large shallots, peeled and finely sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon toasted rice powder (available in Asian grocery stores, may also be called roasted rice powder or Khao Khua)
- Fish sauce
- Lime juice (from fresh limes, not bottled)
- Ground dried red pepper
- ½ cup whole cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup mint leaves
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken until thoroughly cooked. Do not brown. Liquid should remain in the pan, but add water if you cook the chicken dry.
- Remove the chicken from heat and immediately add the shallots. Stir to heat and wilt the shallots.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of fish sauce and lime juice, toss the whole recipe, and taste. Add additional lime juice in 1 tablespoon increments, and additional fish sauce in 1 teaspoon increments, until you reach your preferred taste. (Keep track of how much you’ve added so you know how much to add the next time you make it!)
- Add the toasted rice powder and toss.
- Cautiously add dried chili powder, toss, and taste. Again, add in increments and take note when you’ve reached the level you enjoy.
- Toss with mint leaves and cilantro and enjoy on a bed of dark green leaves.
Leela “How to Make Larb Gai – Lahb Gai – Laab Gai – Larp Gai – Laap Gai – Lahb Gai ลาบไก่”She Simmers. Published June 5, 2009. Accessed Nov 10, 2016.