Oatmeal provides plenty of heart healthy, filling fiber in this delicious baked breakfast treat. Make on the weekend for an on the go breakfast all week, or feed your whole family a piping hot treat on Sunday morning.
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup + ½ cup strawberries or your favorite juicy fruit, sliced
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk (use dairy, nut, or soy, as you have on hand)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together oats, honey, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and one portion of the walnuts, fruit, and chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together liquid ingredients.
- Pour the oat mixture in a deep 8 inch by 8 inch baking dish. Arrange the remaining fruit, walnuts, and chocolate chips on tops.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the top, and gently shake to distribute the liquid throughout the oats. Cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until golden brown, about twenty minutes.