With tomatoes at their peak, now’s a great time to load up on these nutrient-rich veggies. Look for organic versions, though, to reduce your body’s toxic load. I especially like the distinctive flavors of heirloom varieties for this recipe.
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, sliced in half around the widest part
- 1 – 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- Unrefined salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into narrow strips
- Scoop out seeds and pulp from inside each tomato half.
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper, brush the cut side with grape seed oil, and place cut side down, on the grill surface and cover. (I recommend using a grill basket for veggies, if you have one.)
- After about 4 minutes on the grill, gently remove tomatoes, put them on a serving platter, and then top with a bit more grape seed oil and basil leaves before serving.