Here’s a light, easy salad that’s perfect for rounding out a small portion of pasta or fish. But I have to warn you – it is addictive! At my house, I double this recipe just to make certain there’s enough to enjoy the leftovers later.
- 2 1/4 cups water
- ¾ cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup chopped cucumber, seeded and peeled
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon unrefined salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and barley to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Most of the water should be absorbed, and the barley should be soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice and rind, olive oil, and mustard. Whisk together thoroughly.
- Add barley, cucumber, parsley, onion, salt, pepper, olives, and beans. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Top with walnuts before serving.