Greens and Ginger Soup
Read the related issue, “Correct Your pH Now” for more information on acidosis and eating to avoid the condition.
Serves 5 to 6
Ingredients (Please use organic vegetables whenever possible):
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 Tablespoons olive or flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 large bunch green chard
- 3 Tablespoons (45 g) chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 to 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the onion and cook in olive or flaxseed oil on low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and beginning to brown.
- While the onion cooks, wash, peel, and dice the sweet potato. Place it in a large pot with 4 cups of water. Wash the leek, spinach, ginger, and chard. Chop coarsely, and place them in the pot with the sweet potato.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat, cover and allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to become tender. Add the cooked onions when they are ready. Finally, add as much vegetable broth as you like.
- When the soup is done, stir in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, a pinch or two of salt, and a little black pepper. Correct the seasoning and serve.