Do-It-Yourself Flavored Water
Human life cannot exist without water. It is an essential nutrient, and too often we take it for granted. Conventional wisdom says that we should drink eight glasses of water daily. But a more accurate goal for your daily dose of water should be the equivalent of half of your weight in ounces of water daily. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should be drinking 80 ounces of water everyday.
Too often, patients tell me they don’t like to drink water because “it doesn’t taste like anything.” No excuse! You can flavor water easily by adding one of the following:
- a wedge of orange, grapefruit, lemon, or lime
- a chunk of watermelon or cantaloupe
- a small piece of pineapple
- a couple slices of cucumber
- a splash of cranberry or another favorite juice