Food & Nutrition

The food you eat has a profound effect on your health. Here you will find resources on how you can use that to your advantage with great recipes and the pros and cons of all the latest trendy diets.

20150703 good carbs shutterstock_202514179

Carbohydrates: The Right Kind are Good

If you’re confused about carbohydrates, you’re not alone. They’ve been good guys or bad guys, depending on who’s talking, for years. How much or how little is good or bad for us? Where do they belong in our diet? Of | Read More…

Lentil breakfast patty

Lentil Breakfast Patty

Complex carbohydrates rich in fiber are a critical part of a healthy diet. Beans, peas, and other legumes are some of the most fiber-rich parts of your diet. Lentils are relatively quick to cook, have a low glycemic index, and | Read More…

20150625 watermelon gazpacho shutterstock_58822963

Watermelon Gazpacho

It’s the season for sweet melons. I love watermelon because they are the epitome of nutrient-dense, calorie light foods. Watermelon is 92% water, but the other 8% of goodness includes critical vitamins A, B6, and C, lycopene, antioxidants, and amino | Read More…

man eating blueberries

Blueberries: Five health benefits

The high-tech medical gear we docs can use today is phenomenal. But here’s some equally phenomenal, no-tech medical “gear” that everyone can—and should—use. Blueberries. How blueberries outperform the rest Blueberries have one of the most potent antioxidant profiles of any | Read More…

blueberry salsa

Blueberry Salsa

Blueberries are chock full of polyphenols, micronutrients which have a role in the prevention of diseases like cancer and heart disease. Furthermore, they are antioxidants which can boost your cells’ ability to repair and prevent damage from free radicals. Not | Read More…

20150611 chia pudding shutterstock_272722139

Almond Milk and Chia Breakfast Pudding

As you know, cereals are one source of hidden sugars in the diet. Not only do cereal companies add all sorts of high fructose corn syrup and just plain table sugar to their recipes, but the refined cereals that make | Read More…

woman having breakfast

Secret Sugar Raises Heart Risk

If you saw an 11-year-old go into a convenience store and try to buy a pack of cigarettes, you’d be astonished. But if that same 11-year-old walked up to the counter with a huge box of sugary gummy bears or | Read More…

boy reaching into a basket of nuts

Health Benefits of Nuts

This Should Drive You to Nuts Some of our best friends are truly nuts. As little as one power-packed ounce of nuts a day—a handful, for most of us—gives us a rich dose of delicious protection and good health. We’re | Read More…

20150528 almond butter shutterstock_215313454

Almond Butter

Almonds are a great source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium, and protein. It also contains phytosterols and unsaturated fats which can help lower your cholesterol levels. Commercial nut butters too often contain stabilizers, high fructose corn syrup, and salt in | Read More…

20150522 sneaky sugar shutterstock_109529942

Hidden Sugar Can Wreck Your Diet

Glen recently left my office a changed man. Like so many of my patients these days, Glen was watching what he eats. There are countless reasons for it. Some people want to lose weight. Others want to gain. Some patients | Read More…