Serves 6 (4 tacos per serving)
Here’s a meal you can feel good about serving. It’s loaded with lean protein, healthy veggies, and lots of flavor. Once you taste it, you’ll know why it’s a favorite at my house.
Instead of using premade taco shells, I suggest oven baking low-fat corn or gluten-free tortillas for more healthful shells. Preheat the oven to 350°F, lightly spray olive oil on both sides of each tortilla, and drape each shell over two metal strips on the oven rack (so they fold like a taco shell). Bake them for 8 to 10 minutes or until just crispy. Keep an eye on the tortillas because they can go from crispy to burnt quickly.
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, shredded or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Put beef, turkey, and onions in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally while breaking up chunks of meat.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, add garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes, and seasonings to the meat and onion mixture. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for an additional 4 to 6 minutes, until most of the tomato liquid is gone.
Additional ingredients for tacos (choose your favorites):
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (approximately 3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 3/4 cup salsa or relish
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 10-ounce can fat-free refried beans
Assemble tacos by filling each shell with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture and 1 tablespoon or so of your favorite toppings.
Nutritional information per serving: 156 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated), 6 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein, 41 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 3 g sugar (Nutritional values are calculated for taco filling, not including additional ingredients.)
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.
Sign up to get FREE access to more health tips, latest research, and exclusive offers to help you reach your health and wellness goals!