Serves 6 (4 tacos per serving)
Here’s a meal you can feel good about serving. It’s loaded with lean protein, healthy veggies, and lots of flavor. Once you taste it, you’ll know why it’s a favorite at my house.
Instead of using premade taco shells, I suggest oven baking low-fat corn or gluten-free tortillas for more healthful shells. Preheat the oven to 350°F, lightly spray olive oil on both sides of each tortilla, and drape each shell over two metal strips on the oven rack (so they fold like a taco shell). Bake them for 8 to 10 minutes or until just crispy. Keep an eye on the tortillas because they can go from crispy to burnt quickly.
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, shredded or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Put beef, turkey, and onions in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally while breaking up chunks of meat.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, add garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes, and seasonings to the meat and onion mixture. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for an additional 4 to 6 minutes, until most of the tomato liquid is gone.
Additional ingredients for tacos (choose your favorites):
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (approximately 3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 3/4 cup prepared, low-sodium salsa
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 10-ounce can fat-free refried beans
Assemble tacos by filling each shell with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture and 1 tablespoon or so of your favorite toppings.
Nutritional information per serving: 156 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated), 6 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein, 41 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 3 g sugar (Nutritional values are calculated for taco filling, not including additional ingredients.)
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.