This quick, easy pasta dish is a favorite at my house. I love making it because it comes together quickly and is so nutritious with lots of healthy skin-supportive ingredients. If you’re avoiding wheat and gluten, the sauce tastes just as delicious with rice-based pasta or on roasted spaghetti squash as it does with the regular wheat version.
- 1 pound spaghetti (or roasted spaghetti squash)
- 2/3 cup organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can (2 oz) of anchovy fillets
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or lite salt
- In a large pot, bring 6 to 8 cups of fresh water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until it is golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Cut 4 to 6 anchovies into small pieces, and set aside.
- Add the remaining anchovies to the sautéed garlic. Using a wooden spoon, break the anchovies apart by smashing them against the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Add lemon juice, Italian seasoning, parsley, and salt to the sautéed garlic, and stir thoroughly.
- Drain cooked pasta, and return it to the cooking pan. Pour the garlic, oil, and anchovy sauce over the pasta, and mix thoroughly.
- Place pasta in a serving dish. Garnish with small pieces of chopped anchovies and additional chopped parsley, if desired (parsley helps eliminate garlic breath and lingering garlic taste).
- Serve with a big salad of mixed greens and a side dish of your favorite veggies.
Nutritional information per serving: 404 calories, 20 g fat (3 g saturated), 44 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein, 6 mg cholesterol, 555 mg sodium, 0 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.