This quick, easy pasta dish is a favorite at my house. I love making it because it comes together quickly and is so nutritious with lots of healthy skin-supportive ingredients. If you’re avoiding wheat and gluten, the sauce tastes just as delicious with rice-based pasta or on roasted spaghetti squash as it does with the regular wheat version.
- 1 pound spaghetti (or roasted spaghetti squash)
- 2/3 cup organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can (2 oz) of anchovy fillets
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or lite salt
- In a large pot, bring 6 to 8 cups of fresh water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until it is golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Cut 4 to 6 anchovies into small pieces, and set aside.
- Add the remaining anchovies to the sautéed garlic. Using a wooden spoon, break the anchovies apart by smashing them against the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Add lemon juice, Italian seasoning, parsley, and salt to the sautéed garlic, and stir thoroughly.
- Drain cooked pasta, and return it to the cooking pan. Pour the garlic, oil, and anchovy sauce over the pasta, and mix thoroughly.
- Place pasta in a serving dish. Garnish with small pieces of chopped anchovies and additional chopped parsley, if desired (parsley helps eliminate garlic breath and lingering garlic taste).
- Serve with a big salad of mixed greens and a side dish of your favorite veggies.
Nutritional information per serving: 404 calories, 20 g fat (3 g saturated), 44 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein, 6 mg cholesterol, 555 mg sodium, 0 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.
Sign up to get FREE access to more health tips, latest research, and exclusive offers to help you reach your health and wellness goals!