Beans are among the most nutritious foods around, loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This easy-to-make hummus is an excellent way to increase your nutrient intake without cooking anything. Instead of pita bread, my family enjoys this hummus with cut-up, fresh veggies (jicama, celery, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, and peppers), making it an excellent way to increase daily vegetable intake.
- 1 15½-ounce can of cannellini beans
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Put beans, lemon juice, coriander, and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Stir in cilantro, olive oil, pistachios, and scallions.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Nutritional information per serving: 297 calories, 17 g fat (2 g saturated), 29 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 10 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 2 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.