Beans are among the most nutritious foods around, loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This easy-to-make hummus is an excellent way to increase your nutrient intake without cooking anything. Instead of pita bread, my family enjoys this hummus with cut-up, fresh veggies (jicama, celery, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, and peppers), making it an excellent way to increase daily vegetable intake.
- 1 15½-ounce can of cannellini beans
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Put beans, lemon juice, coriander, and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Stir in cilantro, olive oil, pistachios, and scallions.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Nutritional information per serving: 297 calories, 17 g fat (2 g saturated), 29 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 10 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 2 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.
Sign up to get FREE access to more health tips, latest research, and exclusive offers to help you reach your health and wellness goals!